Steaming is a seemingly easy way to cook fish. To get the perfect tender and delicate texture, however, it’s crucial to control the temperature and timing precisely. The texture will be right if the temperature is right. Chinese steamed fish, with just a little bit of seasoning becomes the simplest yet most delicious dish on the table.
Steamed Fish Ingredients:
- Sea bass
- Ginger, sliced
- Ginger, shredded
- Scallion, stalks
- Scallion, shredded
- Chili pepper, shredded
- Sesame oil
- Scallion infused oil
- Scallion infused soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
Steamed Fish Directions:
- Prepare the fish and pat with a clean dry towel to remove extra moisture.
- Steam the serving plate in the steamer on high heat.
- Place scallion stalks underneath the fish, sprinkle some salt on top of the fish, place a few slices of ginger on top of the fishes skin, and then pour a little scallion infused oil over the top of everything. Steam for ten minutes.
- Separate green and white parts of the scallion. Shred the white part and chop the green part.
- Discard the steamed ginger pieces and scallion slices, and sprinkle some pepper and sesame oil on top of the fish itself. Place white part of the shredded scallion on the bottom, and then shredded ginger, shredded chili pepper, and sprinkle the chopped green part of the scallion on top.
- Heat scallion infused oil on high heat and pour over the fish.
- Add a drizzle of scallion infused soy sauce on the plate, and the dish is ready to serve.
Secret Techniques for Steamed Fish:
If you pour soy sauce over the fish, the fish absorbs all the soy sauce, and it would be too salty. To make the sauce, we marinated scallion and coriander until the juice is released. Add the juice to the soy sauce to dilute it, and this will reduce the salty flavor. The sauce also has the natural flavor from the herbs. We don’t need to add anything else.
Less is more.
– Chef Luo
It’s easier for shredded ingredients to release flavor when the oil is very hot, and you can drip it over the ingredients. Because the temperature is very high, when it is poured over the scallion and ginger, the juice from the scallion and ginger is released, and gets absorbed into the fish.
– Chef Luo