Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie and other actresses have come forward with their own stories of sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein.
In a follow-up to its earlier expose, The New York Times on Tuesday reported that many other actresses have in recent days added to the chorus of accusations surrounding Weinstein. Paltrow described his attempt to lure her, as a then young aspiring actress, into giving him a message in a hotel room. The incident prompted her then-boyfriend Brad Pitt to confront Weinstein at a film premiere.
“I was expected to keep the secret,” Gwyneth Paltrow told New York Times.
Angelina Jolie also told the paper that she has “a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth.” Since, she said, she has refused to work with him and “warn others when they did.”
It was the second new development of allegations against Weinstein on Tuesday. Earlier, The New Yorker published a piece detailing, among other things, in which three women accuse Weinstein of raping them.
Representatives for Weinstein have not responded to messages Tuesday.
Condemnations of movie mogul Harvey Weinstein continue to mount, with Jennifer Lawrence joining the chorus of A-list actors criticizing the movie mogul over allegations he sexually harassed women for decades.
Lawrence praised the women who came forward in an expose published last week by The New York Times that detailed Weinstein’s alleged harassment of actresses and employees. Lawrence, who won an Oscar for the Weinstein-produced “Silver Linings Playbook,” says she was never harassed by the mogul.
Among those weighing in were his longtime allies and beneficiaries Meryl Streep, Kate Winslet, Kevin Smith and Judi Dench. They spoke up with a combination of disgust over his alleged behavior and remorse or defensiveness over their own business entanglements with him.
Even the actors’ labor union SAG-AFTRA joined the chorus in condemning the disgraced movie mogul, calling reports of his alleged conduct “abhorrent and unacceptable.”