A Florida teenager is in a medically induced coma as she fights for her life after a horrific accident on New Year’s Eve.
Layne Chesney, 14, suffered third-degree burns on almost her entire body.
“My daughter has sustained burns over 95-percent of her body,” the girl’s mother, Leigh Chesney, told CBS. “She has suffered a lot of disfiguring injuries.”
Layne is a star softball player. College recruiters are already in contact with her, even though she is only in the ninth grade.
“The only part of her body that was not burned was the bottom of her feet,” the girl’s mom said.
Layne was spending New Year’s Eve at a friend’s house at a get-together that included some of her friend’s family members.
The children were huddled together on the back porch at around 10 p.m. roasting marshmallows for s’mores when the accident occurred, TCPalm reported.
“When the flames went out, one of the children or her, I do not know the complete story, accidentally or on purpose, put more gas to the fire,” Leigh said. “An explosion occurred and she was enveloped in flames.”
A gas can exploded and Layne became engulfed in flames, according to reports.
Layne was airlifted to a burn unit at Kendall Regional Hospital. The teen’s condition is grave, according to her mom.
Students from Layne’s highschool and her teammates set up a GoFundMe page in her name.
“It’s a very dark time for the family but by coming together we can help support them through this tragedy,” the fundraising page says.
“She’s going to have a very difficult, long battle,” Leigh said. “She is going to have many, many setbacks. Some days difficult and some days better. They can’t make any promises. They are doing the very best that they can.”
The girl has already undergone several surgeries. The last operation took seven and a half hours, according to CBS Miami reporter Hank Tester.
“They are removing all skin to the muscle. She is in grave condition. The risk of infection is high,” Leigh Chesney told TCPalm. “Doctors are unsure whether she will survive her injuries. She is fighting hard. It is in God’s hands.”