The English mastiff is considered the noblest of all dog breeds, and for one mastiff owner, it was nothing less than a privilege to take time to give her pet, best friend forever and confidant, who had terminal cancer, the best time of her life.
Dog owner Lauren Fern Watt and her Gizelle, a 160-pound (approx. 73 kg) English mastiff, have come a long way. They have become inseparable over the years—they’ve shared many a good time. Gizelle was her owner’s protector during her college days, her confidant during her dating years, not to mention the rock she needed during her move to New York. Tragically, Gizelle was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer last year. Lauren’s world fell apart.
But Lauren needed to be strong for Gizelle, so the young woman picked herself up and created a bucket list of things that Gizelle loves to do that would make her happy. Here are 11 adorable photos they took during Gizelle’s last days:
1. Beach days are the best days
“It was my mission for us to indulge and explore life’s joys. We’d escape the city and search for waterfalls, cook lobster, and nap in the grass. We’d jump in the ocean without towels, just to enjoy the sun drying us, and never stress about details like sand in the car,” Lauren said.
2. On the lake together
3. Sniffing out dinner in Maine
4. A special treat for a special gal
5. A road trip with best friends
6. Nothing like a warm, fuzzy cuddle
7. A day trip together to Washington Square Park
8. Mingling and making new friends at the party
9. A sweet treat … she deserves it!
10. An encounter with Santa’s “elves”
11. Nothing like a lazy day at the beach
Last photo of Lauren and Gizelle on their memorable adventure
Lauren described her experience with Gizelle as “a sweet, simple, precious adventure.”
Lauren Watt has published a book about their last adventure together. See her blogs below: